Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Longest Day of My Life

I start work tomorrow.

I am officially a new teacher tomorrow.

I get a school email and keys to my classroom.

I get a spiffy nametag that will say "Ms. Herring" on it (without the John H. Lounsbury College of Education logo).

My dental plan kicks in tomorrow.

This is crazy. Today is the longest day of my life, or that's how it feels at least. I wish I could get a handle on my emotions right now. I'm up then I'm down.

I'm literally all over the place; running around my apartment trying to get all my things together for my new year. I have so many books. SO MANY BOOKS! Books for me as a teacher, books for my students. It's becoming a problem.

Tomorrow at 8:30 am, I start New Teacher Orientation. I've been trying to get someone to help me pick out the perfect outfit for days, but it just doesn't seem to be working.

I am terrified and excited. The math teacher on my team is hosting a senior middle grades cohort student from my college. In fact I know the new student teacher quite well; this should be interesting.

I have been trying to enjoy my last day of summer vacation, but my excitement is getting the best of me.

Last week I met my co-teacher. This is going to be a great year.

My best friend is a 4th grade teacher in the Atlanta area. We are already working on ways to integrate our classrooms. Yes, you can connect 7th and 4th graders.

I am so scattered right now and I apologize. There are two women I know who are going into their second year as teachers (they were members of the senior middle grades cohort, MAGIC, when I was a junior in FRESH...JHLCOE grads will understand the references). They have given me countless pieces of advice and have showered me with compliments and prayers. I know the first year of teaching is going to be crazy but I'm going to do my best to make it crazy fun, also. I have an incredibly strong support system going into this and I am extremely blessed to be at this point in my life...finally.

Now it's finally time to create my new life in the middle.

2 comments:

  1. Dear GM,

    1) Having too many books is a good thing :)
    2) You look pretty in all your teaching outfits, so don't worry.
    3) Its okay to be EXCITED, and freaked out, and EXCITED, and nervous, and EXCITED, and terrified. The fact that you feel so scattered means that you care enough to be emotionally invested, which is good.
    4) YAY DENTAL! Now your lovely smile will be even lovelier.

    You are awesome and I hope you have an amazing first day tomorrow!

    Love,

    Tori

    P.S. Now go for a run or something so you will wear yourself out and be able to sleep tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Torini,

    1) I totally agree! Books are always good things!
    2) Thank you!
    3) I'm glad it's ok, because I am beyond EXCITED and freaked out and terrified at this point!
    4) Thank you!

    Thank you for always encouraging me!

    Love,
    GM

    P.S. I did a pretty intense yoga routine for about 45 minutes so I'm pretty beat.

    ReplyDelete