Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I'm a big girl!

This week, I signed the next year of my life away. I have accepted a position as an eighth grade language arts inclusion teacher for the 2011-2012 school year.

I expected the contract signing to be more of a spectacle. I guess I thought I was signing a contract for the NBA, complete with a press conference and flashing cameras. I would be given a hat with the school logo on it and would be interviewed.

Nope.

The human resources director printed my contract off the computer, handed it to me and went about her business until I said I was finished reading and I had signed the bottom. No fireworks, no flashing cameras. No cameras at all, really.

It all happened so fast. My appointment with her was at 10 am, and I was back at camp by 11 am. That morning I even woke up, did my hair and makeup, and put on a dress and heels. My camp students were astounded. I told them I was "Ms. Herring" in that outfit, and later I would return back to "Ms. Georgia Michelle."

I teared up as I walked out of the Board of Education office. This is a dream ten years in the making; I have wanted to be a teacher since I was in middle school. I am not just accepting a job as an eighth grade teacher; I'm fulfilling a dream.

Young adolescents are among my favorite people on the planet. They never cease to amaze me. They are insightful, inspiring, frustrating, and exhausting.

I cannot wait to start my journey and let the young minds teach me!

No comments:

Post a Comment